If there’s one thing you should do this Mother’s Day, it’s make these Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. Flavors are tangy, vibrant, and just the right amount of spiciness! You’ll be the talk of every Sunday brunch.
No dairy is required to make the ricotta – just cashews! Combined with lemon and a touch of salt, you get a creamy texture that makes these pancakes tender and moist. Paired with a DIY soy “buttermilk,” every bite is fluffy, airy, and soft.
This recipe is freezer-friendly too, so make a double batch for a delicious breakfast throughout the week. For a more budget-friendly recipe, swap out the cashews for sunflower seeds, which are surprisingly high in protein.
Serve these as is with non-dairy butter, coconut whip, maple syrup, powdered sugar, or whatever else you like!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Costs: $2.22 Recipe | $0.22 Pancakes
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons of water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
*Price for cashew ricotta is included below*
- 1 3/4 cups soy milk ($0.49)
- ¼ cup lemon juice ($0.36)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour ($0.16)
- 3 tablespoons cane sugar ($0.01)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda ($0.01)
- ¾ teaspoon salt ($0.01)
- ¼ cup aquafaba* ($0.02)
- ½ cup cashew ricotta cheese ($0.95)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ($0.21)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- maple syrup
- coconut whipped cream
- Dairy-free butter
- orange slices
- powdered sugar
- In a small blender, add the soaked and drained cashews, lemon juice, water, and salt. Beat on high until smooth, then transfer to a container and set aside.
- Heat a griddle or large non-stick skillet to medium-low. In a small bowl, mix the soy milk and lemon juice. let it curdle
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cane sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the middle, then set aside.
- In the soy buttermilk bowl, add the aquafaba, ½ cup cashew ricotta, vanilla, and lemon zest and mix well. Transfer this mixture to the well with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (be careful not to over-mix).
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, transfer batter to well-greased griddle. Bake on the first side until bubbles form and the edges turn light brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side for an additional 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve your lemon ricotta pancakes while still warm with maple syrup, vegan butter, orange slices, powdered sugar, blueberry syrup, coconut cream, etc. Enjoy!
- *Aquafaba is the cooking water from homemade chickpeas or the brine from a can of chickpeas.
- Make sure you use soy milk to make the “buttermilk,” as other plant-based milks don’t seem to work as well.
- Save the leftover cashew ricotta for another pancake recipe, lasagna, etc.
Nutrition: 1 in 10 servings
calories 157 | total fat 3.7 g | Saturated fat 0.6 g | Cholesterol 0mg | sodium 396.4mg | Total carbohydrates 26.4 g | fiber 1.5g | Total sugar 4.6 g | protein 5.0g | Calcium 134.2 mg | Iron 2.0 mg | Potassium 124.9 mg |