Apple roses are a beautiful, elegant dessert that’s perfect for Mother’s Day celebrations. These Puff Pastry Apple Roses are super easy to make but look absolutely stunning.
The technique to make these babies is a lot simpler than you think. All you do is slice your apples very thinly and then soften them by cooking them with cinnamon sugar and lemon juice.
Then spread some jam on long, thin strips of puff pastry and place the apple slices on top. Then roll up the puff pastry tightly and place the little roses in a muffin tin. After 30 minutes in the oven you will have beautiful apple roses.
This recipe is extremely simple, but you can still customize it and add your own spin:
- Apricot and raspberry jam are particularly tasty here, but you can also use strawberry, peach, orange, or fig jam.
- For a healthier option, choose a homemade, low-sugar jam.
- Instead of jam, you can also use vegan Nutella, peanut butter, cashew butter, vanilla pudding, or a mixture of cinnamon sugar and margarine.
- To soften the apple slices, you can boil, steam, or dehydrate them. Or use the microwave for a few minutes.
- Choose a variety of apples for different colors and flavors. Play around with sweeter or tart apples, depending on what you like.
- You can also make these roses with different fruits. Peaches and plums work particularly well.
- Top off your apple roses with powdered sugar or a drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Instead of small apple roses, you can also prepare a large cake.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 mins
Baking time: 40 minutes
For 2-3 apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed and rolled out
- 3-4 tbsp raspberry or apricot jam
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter (optional)
- powdered sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Core the apples, then slice as thinly as possible with a mandolin or knife.
- Place in a saucepan with the lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Cut the puff pastry into 6 long strips.
- Brush one strip with some jam, then place the apple slices on top, skin side out, overlapping slightly and leaving some space at the bottom. Fold the bottom piece over the apples, leaving most of the slices exposed.
- Roll up the strip tightly to form an apple rose. Place in a muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining strips.
- Brush roses with melted butter, then bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the roses to cool slightly before removing them from the pan.
- Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
calories 296 | total fat 16.7 g | Saturated fat 7g | Cholesterol 17mg | sodium 323mg | Total carbohydrates 38.9 g | fiber 2g | Total sugar 20.3 g | protein 2.1g | Calcium 25 mg | Iron 1mg | Potassium 68 mg |