That’s no secret Kai Gerber is in great shape and if you want to get toned for the summer like the 20-year-old supermodel, look no further. Kaia’s trainer, Kirsty Godsoshared with HollywoodLife EXCLUSIVELYa resistance workout that kicks your ass and gets you in shape just in time for beach weather.
While there are tons of different workouts you can try, Kirsty recommended resistance training. “One of the best ways to get in shape is with resistance training. If you don’t have access to weights or a gym, you can incorporate bands or just join in with your own bodyweight at home.”
If you want to try a fast, total-body circuit that “targets the major muscle groups and gets your heart rate up with a fast cardio finisher at the end,” follow Kirsty’s steps below. Allow 90 seconds to recover between each exercise, then repeat 3-4 times total.
1. “Resistant glute bridges – Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet hip-width apart on the floor. Feet should be an arm’s length from your hips. Place weights on your hips (or no weights) and actively press your feet into the floor to lift your hips, stopping when a diagonal line runs from your knees across your hips to your chest. Lower yourself in a controlled manner and repeat 10 repetitions.
2. “Bird dog with row – Start on all fours with the weight in one hand and then extend the other leg. Row the weight up until it brushes past your chest, elbow up nicely, and return to the floor. Keep your hips nice and straight to the floor at all times. 10 repetitions per side.
3.”Side lunge – Hold the weight (if using) in a front-rack position (on the collarbone) and step generously to the side, placing your hips down and back into a squatting position while keeping the other leg straight and the keep chest up. Push off the outside foot to return to the starting position in a controlled manner. Do 10 reps and repeat on the other side.
4.”deadlift – Begin with feet hip-width apart and shoulders back. With a gentle bend in your knees, bend at your hips and begin to lower weights (or arms if not using weights) toward the floor – arms/weights should be close to your shins. Keep your back nice and flat as you move, then push your weight onto your feet (especially your heels). and press from the bottom of the movement to get all the way back to the top.
5. “Forearm plank with knee taps – Forearms under shoulders and back long and flat in a forearm plank position, squeeze your glutes and keep your core locked in as you gently lower yourself and tap the floor one knee at a time. Go slowly and work with your breath. 10 reps per knee.”
When you’re done, follow up with a quick tabata finisher to get your heart rate up. Do the exercises for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds. Do three rounds of each of the three exercises.
1. Mountaineer Sprint
2. Drop squats
3. Lateral shuffles (3-5 steps in each direction, depending on the seat)
Although Kirsty shared her intense workout, finding the motivation to actually do it might seem daunting, but Kirsty shared her tips to keep you motivated. “If you find it overwhelming or stressful to fit time into your schedule for workouts — simplify!” she shared. “Exercise should add more value to your life than stress. Here are some quick motivational fixes:
- “Reduce the time – workouts don’t always have to be long.
- “No gear? There are so many bodyweight workouts you can do similar to the ones above!
- “Go for a walk – count the steps. Going for a walk with friends is one of my favorite things to do.
- “If traditional workouts aren’t your thing but you love exercise, get out there and play!
- “Incorporate things that make you feel good — dancing, stretching, Pilates.”
Aside from providing us with her amazing workouts, Kirsty also just hooked up Hawaiian Tropic of Cancer. “I was really excited to work with Hawaiian Tropic on their Sun Loving Meditation and fight against burnout because I’ve personally suffered from it and it affects a lot of people.”
She continued: “Even a few minutes of sitting in peace and drawing energy from the sun can completely transform your condition. I’ve been using Hawaiian Tropic sunscreen since growing up on the beach in New Zealand and love that their Sun Loving Meditation routine draws attention to getting outside to encourage sun-safe, serotonin-boosting activities.”