When it comes to leafy vegetables, kale is one of the healthiest you can have. The vegetable is a nutritional superfood because it is packed with vitamins A, K, B6, and C, calcium, potassium, copper, and manganese. In addition, kale is good for the heart, helps with weight management, and is good for eye and bone health. Read our article on the complete health benefits of kale to know why you should add kale to your diet. What many don’t know, however, is that kale should also be included in your beauty routine.
Benefits of kale for the skin
Kale contains phytonutrients that can help nourish the skin. Thanks to its vitamin C and K content, kale is also great for hyperpigmentation of the skin and reducing dark circles. Vitamin C also protects against oxidative stress-induced cell damage. The leafy green can help promote the production of new skin cells thanks to its vitamin A content. Vitamin A is approved by the Food and Drug Administration as an anti-wrinkle agent that “changes the appearance of the skin surface and has anti-aging effects.” Kale also contains lutein, an antioxidant that supports eye health by reducing the risk of age-related macular degeneration. It can also protect your skin from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays.
Ways to use kale in your skincare routine
One of the best things about kale is that it is great for all skin types. Therefore, anyone can benefit from its skin benefits. Now we will show you how to use the leafy green in your skin care routine.
Bring the salon home with this delicious kale face mask. When you apply this face mask topically to your skin, it helps to enliven your skin. It also contains coconut milk, lemon and honey to enliven your complexion and hydrate and soothe your skin.
This face mask is super easy to make and requires a few simple ingredients.
- 1/4 cup chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Rinse kale well and puree in a blender.
2. Place the kale in a bowl and mix in the honey, coconut milk and lemon juice by hand.
3. Apply the face mask evenly. Make sure to avoid the eyes. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off.
Kale can be used as a great body scrub to exfoliate your skin. Here’s how to make it:
1. Chop some kale leaves and add them to a small bowl.
2. Mix them well with two parts coconut oil or vegetable shortening.
3. Spread the mixture all over your body, especially on your dry spots.
4. Let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse off.
Kale has a good balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are not only essential for heart health, but can also make hair stronger, shinier and softer. The vegetable is also high in beta-carotene, which can be helpful in improving scalp health and strengthening hair follicles.
Make a nourishing kale hair mask by following these steps:
1. Mix half a cup of fresh kale juice with a mashed banana.
2. Massage the mixture from root to end.
3. Cover with a shower cap and let sit for 30 minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly.
Like broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, kale is a cruciferous vegetable. Cruciferous vegetables are known for their anti-inflammatory powers. The great thing is that you can enjoy the anti-inflammatory benefits of kale by applying it externally as well. This eye cream can be applied under the eyes, where the nutrients are absorbed by the skin and help fight inflammation under the eyes.
Directions for use:
1. Combine 2 tablespoons fresh kale juice with 1/4 cup coconut milk, and 2 tablespoons avocado oil.
2. Mix them well. Make sure the consistency is milky.
3. Apply the cream under the eyes, and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Rinse well.
Why use cosmetic products on your nails when you can naturally condition them with kale? This conditioner can strengthen your nail beds while hydrating and conditioning them. As mentioned, kale is rich in vitamin A, which promotes the synthesis of keratin, and keratin forms the cells that make up the tissue of the nails.
Directions for use:
1. Put two drops of olive oil with a few small pieces of kale in a bowl.
2. Mix them well in a blender.
3. Add more olive oil if you need more liquid.
4. Soak your nails in the mixture for about 5 minutes or apply it to your nails for 10 minutes. Then rinse it off.
5. For an even deeper soak, cover your nails with gloves and let the conditioner soak in overnight.